11/19/13

Our First Public Meltdown

It was the most beautiful day ever. 65* cool breeze and sunny. Eli and I went to Hobby Lobby to pick up just a few things. He was doing really well, so I decided we should go to Big Lots as we had some birthday presents to pick out. Instead of driving, we walked. Approximately 200 yards. No big deal. 

Inside the store, I tried on some hats on Eli and he loved it. When I started walking away he started throwing a smallish fit. Crying like he couldn't believe his mommy would be so mean. He soon found his composure. We picked out the presents for the princesses and saw a dump truck at the end of the isle. Side note- Eli has like no outside toys. He's got a tiny slide that he plays with for like 10 seconds and a wagon. That's it. Not trike, no nothing. So, I thought this little plastic dump truck would be a good addition to his toys. As soon as I picked it up, his eyes lit up. He was so excited. So we headed to check out. When I put the truck on the counter to pay for it, Eli freaked out. He was so mad/sad/distraught. I grabbed his face and did the close talk thing. It didn't faze him. If I were a good mom I should have left the dump truck, but truth be known, I really wanted him to have it. Oh, it was also at this time that I noticed he had a nasty yellow dried on booger on his nose. Mom of the year, folks. 
Was it worth it? 

We get outside. Eli is still in the cart and it is then that I realized that I have to figure out how to hold the hand of a toddler that has no idea that cars could really hurt him AND carry a dump truck and two other small bags 200 yards. So I get everything adjusted in one hand/arm and grab Eli's hand and we're off. Except Eli decides he's still mad so he sits down and starts crying. So I set the merchandise down, pick him up (discipline his little rear right there in front of anyone who cared to look) and tried to pick up the merchandise. Off we went to the car. He had composed himself by now, but I wasn't about to try to readjust by having him walk. We get to the car and I pop the trunk to put the stuff in. He sees that stupid dump truck again and proceeds to throw his head back and start crying. I put him in his car seat and he blows his nose in protest. The boy has allergies and there was a ton of snot every. Would you believe that there wasn't a napkin, wipe, kleenex anywhere???!?! 

I had planned to stop by the grocery store after Big Lots because we need milk. I wasn't about to take my emotional snot-faced child into another store. 

If this doesn't call for a trip through the drive-thru, I don't know what does. 


No comments:

Post a Comment