11/1/13

Just 5 Loaves and 2 Fish

Today as Eli and I were running errands around town, I turned on the local Christian radio station. There was a lady speaking about how God can use us even though we lack much. I don't know who she was and I'm not even sure what program it was on (maybe Focus on the Family) and didn't hear it in its entirety. The part I heard she was talking about the time when Jesus feeds the 5,000. He had been healing and speaking all day and they just kept following Him. It was late and the disciples had the brilliant idea to send everyone home and get their own food (no sarcasm intended, I'm pretty sure I would have said the same thing). 

My paraphrase, for entire version go to John 6:1-14

Jesus: How are we going to feed these people?

Disciples: Uh, send them home? Even if we spent all our money from this year, it wouldn't even give everyone a bite.

Andrew: Uh, Jesus...there's a boy that has 5 barley loaves and 2 fish. 

Jesus: Tell the people to sit down. (Then Jesus gave thanks for the food and began distributing it.)

There was enough for everyone. EVERYONE. Five freaking thousand people. And 12 baskets left over. 

Did the boy with the food have extra special gifts that made it multiply? Did Andrew get extra God-points because he spotted the food and then gave it to the Master? 

Or, did the Son of God take what little measly gift that was presented, use it, and through His power make it MORE THAN ENOUGH for EVERYONE. 

Wow. This has huge implications for my life. 

But God, I'm not educated enough. But God, I don't know anyone here. But God, I'm too busy. But God, I don't have enough money. But God, (fill in your own excuse). 

But God owns me. He captivates me. He rules my life. So why am I limiting Him? 

"Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21



No comments:

Post a Comment