1/8/18

Eli is 6

Photos by the lovely Sara McMillan of Sara McMillan Photography (Hutchinson, KS)
When I think of the last year of Eli's life two words come to mind- brave and compassion. He has grown in these two areas noticeably and it excites me for his future. Since starting school in August, he has really become more adventurous and willing to try new things. He has been playing basketball and prior to this year, he hadn't really had any interest in the sport. I encouraged him to try it out (thinking it would be a safe year for his to try it and see if he liked it). After the first day, he ran to Brent and I and said with a lot of excitement, "wow, I am probably the worst dribbler on the team". And so he began practicing and the next week, I think we agree with him that he wasn't the worst dribbler. Whenever his team scores a basket, he has the cutest excited look on his face and gives a couple claps while he runs (with a few gallops and skips) back to touch the net and play defense. 



This one cracks me up. They were trying to give each other a hi-five and kept missing.



He also has grown in the area of compassion. I've noticed this area of growth since school in relation to his siblings. I don't know if it's because he's gone most of the day, but if they are hurt or struggling he really wants to help them and shows that he's sorry they are struggling. It is so sweet and warms my heart to see him love them so. He's a wonderful big brother.


Eli is a bright little guy and keeps me on my toes with his questions and inquiries. Math comes very easily to him and I love to see him work with numbers. Reading has come a little slower, but he's starting to show an interest in learning how to do it himself so that is exciting. He's still a perfectionist in his work- especially writing- so it can be frustrating for him at times if he doesn't know how to spell a word. Inventive spelling is not made for kids like Eli, but he'll get there. He's great at puzzles and building Lego creations.

The Holy Spirit has been working on Eli's heart and it is so beautiful to watch him wrestle and ask questions and really feel convictions. He's shared the Gospel beautifully  in his own way with a few of his friends at school.  He's also taken a liking to music and can be heard singing passionately at times. His favorite music is Rend Collective. When he sings "every giant will fall, every mountain will move, every chain of the past be broken in two, over fear over lies we're singing the truth, that nothing is impossible with You" with such gusto, I can't hold back the tears in my eyes. May that be the song of his heart he knows the truth of God's Word and the true relationship with the Holy Spirit because of the Son. Let it be, Lord. 

Height: 3' 11"
Weight: 49.6# 


No comments:

Post a Comment